Note:  Do not rely on this information. It is very old.

Anglesea

Anglesea, or Anglesey (The Island of the English), an island and county on the north-west coast of Wales, separated from the mainland by the Menai Strait, which is, however, now crossed by the tubular and suspension bridges. The island is 21 miles long and 19 broad; its area being 193,511 acres. The soil is fertile, the surface flat, and the climate mild. The copper mines, which were at one time very considerable, were discovered in 1768; the island yields also lead, ochre, and a little silver. The principal towns are Beaumaris, the capital, Holyhead, and Amlwch. The agricultural products are wheat, barley, oats, rye, and potatoes; cattle and sheep are raised to a large extent.

The Roman name for the island was Mona, and the remains of a Roman camp still exist at Holyhead. This latter town is a place of importance, as it forms the point of departure of the boats for Ireland. The suspension-bridge is a magnificent structure, 580 ft. from pier to pier, and 100 ft. above high-water mark. Anglesey returns one member to Parliament.

Click for more about Mona